Search site

General FAQs

Welcome to our frequently asked questions (FAQ) page.

Please select the relevant question to display the answer below. If you cannot find the information you require you may alternatively use our Search option to search the web site or our A- Z to locate the relevant service.

Q: How do I report a missed waste or recycling collection?

A: To report a missed waste or recycling collection, use our online form.

Q: What day is my rubbish collected?

A: To find out your waste and recycling collection day, you can use our search facility.

Q: How do I report an abandoned vehicle?

A: The Council deals with abandoned vehicles on the public highway and certain areas of private land. It is an offence to abandon a vehicle and the removal of unwanted vehicle significantly reduces car crime and car fires.

Q: How do I pay a Penalty Charge?

A: There are various ways to pay your penalty charge.

Q: What do I do if there is flooding in my street due to rainwater?

A: London Borough of Bexley's Public Realm Management team are responsible for the clearing and maintenance of surface water gullies, soakaways, dumbwells, ditches and culverts within the Borough.

Q: What can I do about graffiti on my property or in my area?

A: The council will clear all reports of graffiti from any location that is visible from public land.

Q: Can the Council clear away a dead animal?

A: The council will clear all dead animals from roads and pavements, parks and open spaces, front and rear gardens, or anywhere that is causing a nuisance to public land.

Q: Does the Council clear dog fouling?

A: The Council actively encourages dog owners to act responsibly and clear up after their dogs and will clear all reports of dog fouling from public land.

Q: How do I contact the Council after 5pm and before 8.30am?

A: We provide a range of online services which can be accessed 24 hours a day for many common issues. If you need to contact us via telephone outside of normal opening hours we operate an emergency out of hours telephone service for help with genuine emergencies which cannot wait until normal opening hours.

Q: What are Building Regulations?

A: Building Regulations are made by the Office of The Deputy Prime Minister (ODPM). They set down minimum standards in the construction of buildings to safeguard the health and safety of persons in and around buildings; conserve fuel and power; and provide facilities for disabled people.

Q: How do I make a Building Regulations Application?

A: There are two routes available for works not related to a commercial building; the building notice route or the full plans route. Commercial buildings or domestic works close to a sewer require a full plans application.

Q: I think a building is dangerous. Can you help?

A: If you believe a structure to be dangerous please contact building control to report the problem.

Q: What is Development Control?

A: The Council's Development Control department is responsible for processing applications made under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

Q: Am I eligible to vote?

A: The Register of Electors is a list of everyone in the borough of Bexley who is registered to vote. In order to vote, your name must be included on the Register of Electors for the area where you live.

Q: How do I get on the Electoral Roll?

A: To be able to vote in elections in the United Kingdom, you first need to be registered by completing an submitting an application.

Q: Can I search the Electoral Roll?

A: The electoral register is available for public inspection under supervision at the Contact Centre, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath DA6 7AT, between the hours of 9am and 5pm on normal working days.

Q: Can I apply for Free School Meals?

A: Free school lunches are provided at all schools in Bexley for pupils who wish to have them. Arrangements are also made for pupils who bring their own food to eat at lunchtime.

Q: Can I apply for student financial support?

A: The GOV.UK website provides all the information you may need when considering whether going into higher education is the right choice and provides links to many websites that can answer your questions.

Q: I am homeless or need help with my housing. What should I do?

A: Struggling to make rent payments? Worried about being made homeless or need support with finding accommodation? If the answer is yes then the council's housing support team may be able to help.