- Local Studies and Archive Centre
- Events programme : 2013
- Bexley Borough Photos
- Online shop
- Visitor information
- Research services
- Community history projects
- Family history
- Local history
- Local studies notes and research guides
- Fees and charges 2013 - 2014
- Websites of local interest
- Policy documents
Community history projects
The teaching of history in schools has been transformed in recent years by an increase in the use of primary source material, giving pupils the opportunity for direct contact with people and events of the past- and the chance to develop skills in evaluating evidence.
We present a varied approach to teachers, students and pupils seeking primary source material for local studies projects, or as a teaching resource for the study of history in the National Curriculum. We are pleased to offer advice and training to help teachers and student teachers to use the centre, and to give advice on documents available for teaching history at each key stage in the National Curriculum, and suggestions for their use in the classroom.
Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre offer the following range of services to local schools:
- We cater for class visits for up to 30 children in dedicated area
- Talks on local history at schools and at the Bexley Local Studies and Archive Centre
- Loan exhibitions on aspects of local history
- Advise teachers on local resources relevant to the National Curriculum and planning of school projects
- Local Studies can supply source material such as photographs, census returns, Victorian and Edwardian house plans and maps etc.