Search site

Council Tax

Council Tax is a charge made on all domestic properties to help pay for local services.

Take control of your Council Tax

There is one bill for each home, whether it is a house, flat, bungalow, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. The bill may be reduced by entitlement to discounts or other reductions.


Council Tax is administered from Erith Town Hall. If you need to speak to someone in person you will need to make an appointment to visit Erith Town Hall.

Please note there are no Council tax staff based at the Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, DA6 7AT.

Council Tax Bands

If you wish to know your Council Tax band and the amount payable for that band visit Council Tax band search. If you believe the band is incorrect you can find further information at the Valuation Office Agency.

How to pay your Council Tax

There are various ways to make a payment.

Visit How do I pay my Council Tax?.

View your account and receive E-Bills 

Please register online.


Certain people are not counted when calculating the Council Tax and you may apply for a discount or exemption for them.  

Examples are:

Person with Disabilities

To be eligible you will have to show that you've either:

  • An extra bathroom, kitchen or other room that you need for the disabled person
  • Extra space inside the property for using a wheelchair

The property must be the main home of at least one disabled person. This can be an adult or a child - it doesn't have to be the person responsible for paying the Council Tax.

Hospitals/Care Homes

If someone in the household is now resident in a hospital/registered care home and does not intend to return to the household. You cannot claim a discount to the council tax bill for households with two or more adults who are not entitled to a discount.

There are many other eligible persons and more information is available at council tax discounts where there is a list of the categories such as carers, students, severely mentally impaired,single person discount and many more. If you select a category there is an explanation of the discount and an application form. 

If you have received a discount or exemption review letter visit Discount and Exemption Review Letters.

Single Person Discount Review form

To complete your review form visit single person discount review.

Register to Vote

Don't forget to make sure you are on the electoral register. Visit Register to vote.

Tell us you are moving

If you are moving please advise us at Council Tax change of address.

Tell us someone has died

We understand there are a lot of things to do when someone dies. For further information visit Tell Us Once.

How to apply for a refund

If you are entitled to a refund on your Council Tax account apply online.

Apply for a Payment Arrangement

If you wish to spread your payments over the remainder of the year visit Online Services.

Struggling to pay?

If you are having problems paying your Council Tax we are always willing to listen and may be able to reduce what you have to pay, for example if you qualify for a discount or a reduction.

Visit Payment difficulties? for further information.

How to apply for Council Tax Reduction

This was previously known as Council Tax Benefit or Support. If you wish to apply visit Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Information Sharing

We may pass the information supplied to other agencies or organisations such as the Department for Work and Pensions and Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to help us check your application and to prevent or detect fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

We may check the information you have provided, or information about you that someone else has provided, with other information we hold.

If you want to know more about what information we have about you, or the way we use your information you can ask the Council by contacting Customer Services.

Further information about how your data may be used in preventing or detecting fraud is available on National Fraud Initiative.