- Children and families
- Children and family care services
- Advice and support for children in care
- After school and holiday services
- Back chat
- Children's and Young People's Services (CYPS)
- Child care social work service (east and west child care units)
- Children living in care
- Safeguarding children
- Education and social care - partners information
- Directory and map of services for children and families
- Disabled children's service
- Family services - supporting families
- Improved information sharing and management
- Improving Bexley's child protection services
- Looked After Children's Rights
- Supporting young people leaving care
- The Youth Engagement Service (YES)
The Youth Engagement Service (YES)
The aim of YES is to prevent social exclusion, family breakdown, offending and anti-social behaviour.
The Service aims to do this by engaging and offering support and access to services for Young People in Bexley. This is a Tier 2 service that meets the needs of young people who are experiencing emotional or behavioural problems whose support needs are assessed as beyond the remit of universal services.
YES will consider referrals from the following groups of young people aged 10 - 18 years old (up to 19 for counselling services).
- Young people at risk of coming into local authority care
- Looked after children who are at risk of placement break down
- Looked after children who are offending or at risk of offending
- Young people who are on the verge of offending
- Young people who are misusing drugs or alcohol
- Young people who are engaged in anti-social behaviour
- Work with parents or carers who have children presenting significant behavioural issues
- Young people at risk of school exclusion
- Young people who go missing from home
The Team is located within the Directorate of Children and Young People's Services and aims to secure better outcomes for young people across the five themes of "Every Child Matters" so that they can:
- Be healthy
- Stay safe
- Enjoy and achieve
- Make a positive contribution and
- Achieve economic well-being
Service methods provided
Telephone support line
Telephone advice line available to young people and parents concerned about the misuse of drugs and alcohol. Telephone 020 3045 3287 or text 07505 689253.
One to One Work
This involves offering regular, practical and emotional support to young people and, increasingly, to parents and carers. It includes assisting young people by identifying other services and opportunities that will benefit them. The aim is for young people to realise their strengths and work towards resolving some of the challenges in their lives.
This provides young people with the opportunity to be listened to and to explore matters of concern within a relationship that supports them to find their own solutions. It allows young people a safe space to help them meet particular challenges in their lives and to enhance their resources and aspirations.
All The Rage is a group for young people who meet with two of our team on a weekly basis to explore the relationship anger has with their lives. Group members have the opportunity to explore their anger as well as their self-esteem and develop social skills. Attendance for many has led to better outcomes at school and improved relationships with school and family members. There is also a lot of fun and learning in a safe and constructive environment.
Young people who abuse or who are at risk of abusing drugs and alcohol
Working with groups of young people, supporting them to understand the risks associated with substance misuse, harm minimisation and to explore the reason that they choose this risk taking behaviour.
Parents and carers of young people who abuse substances
Understanding the risks and exploring why young people abuse substances. Providing support to parents and carers in managing this behaviour.
Young People who go missing from home
YES will offer support to young people aged between 10 - 18 years old, who go missing from home. This support will extend to their parents or carers. The young people will be offered any of the services currently provided by YES
YES already contributes to Bexley's inter-agency Youth Inclusion and Support Panel (YISP). Through this work, we are increasingly involved in formulating Integrated Support Plans for those Children and Young People in Bexley who are most at risk of negative outcomes or social exclusion.
For more information about the team and what we can offer please contact us using the contact details on the right hand menu.
Referral forms are available as documents on the right hand menu.