Am I entitled to a council tax discount?
The full charge assumes there are two (or more) adult occupiers and discounts may be given if there is only one adult resident. In some cases people are 'disregarded' - that is they are treated as if they are not resident and this can give rise to a discount.
The main discount available is:
Single persons discount
If there is only one adult occupier, you may claim a 25% discount
The Council will review awards for discounts and reserves the right to use credit reference agencies to validate any such claims.
Other discounts for people who are disregarded residents and meet qualifying conditions
- people aged over 18 who have child benefit paid for them
- some school or college leavers aged under 20
- people on youth training schemes
- severely mentally impaired people
- long-term residents of hospitals, residential care homes or nursing homes
- volunteer care workers
- people providing care for someone they live with
- members of religious communities
- members of international headquarters, defence organisations and visiting forces
- people who are in prison or detention (except for non-payment of fines or local taxes)
- people staying in hostels or night shelters
Please apply as soon as you believe there is an entitlement to a discount.
If you have been given a discount you must tell us immediately if your circumstances change.
You may appeal against our refusal to award a discount for a specific period. However you may not appeal against the amount of the discount. You must put your appeal in writing to the council tax office stating your reasons. If you are not satisfied with the decision you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal. More information can be found on the Valuation Tribunal website which is available as a link on the right hand menu.
The most frequently used discount forms are available in 'Related Media', which you can print and post back to us with any supporting information, if required. If you cannot find or are uncertain which form is applicable please email email@example.com providing as much information as possible. Contact details are available in 'Related Contacts'.
- Council Tax Full details for Council Tax