- Council news
- News releases
- News archive 2012
- News - June 2012
- No risk to pupils from small amount of asbestos found buried in school grounds
- Learn first aid - you could save a life!
- Bexley Business Awards launched to celebrate local businesses
- More than 100 local jobs secured by move to former Council offices
- Council questions healthcare chief executive
- Community library opens in Bexley Village
- All change to the education leaving age
- You can be part of London 2012!
- Incentive to recycle
- Partnership success results in funds for local projects
- Planning application submitted for Woodside at Colyers
- Dancing in the streets of Bexley
- Local athletes going for gold
- Attendance success for Bexley
- Time to apply for Sporting Best
- Pass on unused clothes and textiles
- Pedal power is coming to Bexley this summer
- Council steps up campaign for a Waitrose store in Sidcup
- Campaign success for Bexley's children in care
- Council's website launches 'Young Bexley'
- Council invites comments on Slade Green schools proposals
- The Great British Story comes to Hall Place
- A Diamond Celebration in Bexley
- Crook Log roadworks set to continue
Community library opens in Bexley Village
26 June 2012
An exciting new period in the history of Bexley Village Library is set to start on 19 July when the charity Greener Bexley will take over its management and upkeep.
Opening hours at the library will be increased from 16 to 25 hours per week, with the library open from Tuesday to Friday 12-5 and Saturday 11-4.
Greener Bexley is committed to the continued provision of book lending services and access to computers and hopes to introduce a range of innovative new services, such as a cafe and art lending library over the coming year.
Greener Bexley will operate Bexley Village library independently of the Council's library network which means that customers wishing to use Bexley Village Library will need to join the new service at the library. Along with the free service, customers will also be given the opportunity to pay a small annual subscription that will give them additional benefits such as borrowing more books and enjoying longer loan periods.
Cllr Donald Massey, Cabinet Member for Leisure said: "After extensive work behind the scenes to make preparations for an effective handover of the library, we are pleased to be driving forward towards the implementation of community management at Bexley Village Library.
"We are confident that customers choosing to join the community library will have access to a great range of services, supported by experienced Council library staff, who are being seconded to Greener Bexley. This will ensure that the library operates to fixed opening hours, so customers are guaranteed a high level of access to the service. Under Greener Bexley's management the service will operate for an additional nine hours a week."
Jonathan Rooks, Chair of Greener Bexley said: "Our charity is very excited about the opportunity to work with the community in Bexley Village to develop the Library as a resource for local people. The new cafe, wifi and other facilities along with nine extra hours a week are a real enhancement to the library service in the Village."
Greener Bexley have adopted the slogan 'The world in your village', representing their aspiration to make the library a hub of community activity in Bexley Village .
Any items borrowed from Bexley Village Library that remain out on loan after 19 July will need to be returned to a Council library.
All Council Library Service members are entitled to use any Council library in the borough and customers who currently use Bexley Village Library will be able to continue using their current Council Library membership card at the borough's other 11 Council libraries.
Bexley Village Library is the only library currently put forward for community management. All other libraries will remain under the Council's management.
- Communications Full details for Communications