Did you know that by the time your baby is potty trained they could have worn 4,000-6,000 nappies?
Why choose real nappies?
- 15 million disposable nappies are thrown away in Bexley every year which costs approximately £220,000 to dispose of
- Nappies will make up 50% of the bin in a household with one baby
- Modern cloth nappies are easy to use - no more boiling or pins
- Using real nappies will save you money! The savings can be increased if you use the nappies on subsequent children
- Real nappies are mostly made from natural fabrics and are therefore breathable and very comfortable to wear
£40 voucher available for interested parents/carers who live in Bexley
The London Borough of Bexley works with Real Nappies for London to offer residents a £40 voucher to try real nappies. This voucher can be used to try different types of real nappies to help choose the nappies which work best for you.
How to use real nappies?
There are many different types of modern real nappies available which means you can find the one which will suit you.
Real nappies have three parts:
- A liner which is placed inside the nappies which is either flushable or washable
- An absorbent layer
- A waterproof layer (with some types of nappies this is attached to the absorbent layer)
Modern real nappies are all machine washable and are washed at lower temperatures. Once washed they can be air dried. Some nappies can be tumbled dried please check the washing instructions on the nappy.
Types of real nappies?
There are different types of real nappies for you to choose between. Go real and Real Nappies for London have descriptions of each type, the advantages and disadvantages as well as an indication of cost.
Need more information?
More information is available at our monthly Nappuccino sessions on the first Wednesday of every month at Danson Children's Centre from 10am-12 noon, where you can come and see the nappies and talk to parents who use them.
Real Nappy Week 2013
Real Nappy Week 2013 was from 15 - 21 April. We held a stall in Mothercare, Bexleyheath and visited lots of baby groups to show parents what modern real nappies are like and to explain how to use them.
"It is easier than you think to use real nappies and you definitely notice a difference in your rubbish. I've found it a lot cheaper than using disposables especially with two children." Jane Whitefield mum to 3 month old Arran and 3 year old Ellis.
- Real Nappies Full details for Nappies