Search site

What happens if I am under 35?

If you are single, under the age of 35 and you rent from a private landlord, you will normally only be entitled to enough housing benefit to cover the average cost of a single room in a shared house in your area.

This is the case even if you have a place of your own. This rule is known as the 'single room rent restriction'. It may not apply to you if you: 

  • Are a single parent
  • Are living with a husband, wife, civil partner (including a same sex partner)
  • Rent from a registered landlord or housing association
  • Are under the age of 22 and have spent time in care since the age of 16
  • Are severely disabled
  • Live with a non dependant (e.g. in a shared house)

If you were able to pay your own rent when you moved into your home and you have not claimed housing benefit in the past year, the single room rent will not be applied for the first 13 weeks if you claim housing benefit.  

If the single room rent restriction is causing you financial hardship, you could try to claim Discretionary housing payments