Search site

Benefits - What should I do if my circumstances change?

If there has been a change in your circumstances you must tell us immediately. If you do not do so, you may lose benefit entitlement, or may incur an overpayment of benefit.

Changes which you must report include (but are not limited to) the following:

  • If you start or stop receiving Income Support, Job Seeker's Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or Pension Credit 
  • Any change in your income/your partner's income (e.g. employment/self employment, Tax Credits, Child Benefit, pensions etc.)
  • Any change in your capital (e.g. if you receive money from a prize draw/lottery, inherit money or property etc.)
  • Any change in your rent, or change of landlord / agent
  • If you have moved to another address
  • If you become a student or cease being a student (you must also declare any student loans or grants that you receive)
  • If the circumstances of someone living with you changes (e.g. their income changes, they move out, someone new moves in etc.) 

Please complete the online notification, and send proof of the change (for example, wage slips, if you have started work) to the Benefits office.

Failure to notify the Council of all changes to your income/capital/circumstances which affect your entitlements to Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction Scheme may result in further action being taken against you (which may include criminal proceedings).

If you receive benefits from the Department for Work and Pensions (including The Pension Service), or receive Tax Credits from Her Majesty's Revenues and Customs, you must also notify them of any changes to your income/capital/circumstances.