Search site

What happens if I need to go away from my home?

If you go away from your home for a week or more you should contact us before you go. If you do not contact us your benefit may stop and you may have to make a new claim on your return.

If you contact us first you are still entitled to receive housing benefit for up to 13 weeks.

If you return after 13 weeks have passed we will not normally be able to pay you any benefit for the time you were away even if you told us before you left.

There are different rules for people who have to leave their home to go into hospital, or are fleeing domestic violence or are remand prisoners.

In all cases you must intend to return to the property within either 13 or 52 weeks and you must not charge somebody else rent for living in your accommodation whilst you are away.