Can I get housing benefit before moving into the property?
We can also pay housing benefit for a new property for up to four weeks before the date that you moved into your new home in the following circumstances.
- You must have moved into your property and made a claim either before or in the first week of your new liability
- You delayed moving in because you were waiting for disability adaptations to the new property
- You were waiting for a social fund payment to help with moving or setting up home
- You are aged 60 or over, or have a child aged under six, or someone in the family is disabled for housing benefit purposes
- You were waiting to leave hospital, a care home or an independent hospital
In all cases, the delay in moving in must be reasonable. If you think you qualify for this extra housing benefit, you must write to the Benefits office as soon as possible.
- Benefits office Full details for Benefits office