Search site

Alcohol and entertainment

The Licensing Act 2003 is about regulating 'licensable activities', which are the sale and supply of alcohol, the provision of regulated entertainment and provision of late night refreshment.

Underpinning the regulation of 'licensable activities' is the promotion of four "licensing objectives":

  • The prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • The prevention of public nuisance
  • The protection of children from harm

The Act makes Local Authorities responsible for licensing premises, which includes parks and open spaces, where licensable activities are provided. It also requires each Local Authority to adopt and publish a 'Statement of Licensing Policy' every three years.

Licensing policy

Under the Act the Council is required to publish a "Statement of Licensing Policy", which must set out the general approach it will take when making licensing decisions.

The latest and current version of the Council's Licensing Policy, which was approved on 4 November 2015, is available as a PDF under downloads. It can also be viewed in the reception areas of main Council offices and in public libraries. Printed copies of the policy are also available from the Licensing team.

View current licensing applications/licences and comment on-line

On 31 October 2016 the London Borough of Bexley joined the Licensing Partnership to process and issue licensing applications for Bexley Council.

View current applications and licences.

Details of current applications can also be found in the Bexley Bulletin.

How to object to applications (Licensing Act 2003)

In many instances the application process allows for local residents and businesses to lodge objections. If you would like to make representations on any current licensing application you can do this several ways:

  • Using the online system - locate the relevant application and select the "Submit Comments" button and follow the instructions
  • By letter or email - contact the Licensing team

Before doing so you should read the guidelines on eligibility to make representations available as a PDF under downloads.

Problems with a licensed premises?

If you have concerns about the operations of a licensed premises then you can make a complaint, or in extreme circumstances or where you feel that your complaint has not been addressed you can apply for the licence to be reviewed.

To make a complaint about licensed or unlicensed activities, please use our online form.

This site uses PDF Adobe Acrobat file for its publications. The viewer that is needed to display pdf documents is free and may be downloaded from the Adobe website

Related Contacts