Standing as a candidate at UK Parliamentary, European Parliamentary and London elections
Eligibility for candidature for these elections varies, although the general criteria are that the candidate must:
- be 18 years of age or over on the day they submit their nomination paper
- not be disqualified for any reason from standing
- for UK Parliamentary elections, be a British, Irish or qualifying Commonwealth citizen
- for European Parliamentary and London (Mayor and Assembly) elections, be a British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or European Union citizen; and
- for London elections, have some connection to the area
In addition, for these types of election, candidates must submit a deposit, which ranges from £500 to £10,000 depending on the election type. The deposit will only be returned if the candidate polls a specified percentage of votes, 2.5% or 5% depending on the election type.
A set of nomination papers for the forthcoming parliamentary general election can be obtained from Electoral Services (see right hand menu for contact details)
For further information on the electoral process please see the Electoral Services - FAQs section (right hand menu).