If you have been adversely affected by the Covid-19 pandemic and are concerned that you or a jointly liable member of your household are now in financial distress and are anxious about paying your Council Tax bill, the Council Tax team will endeavour to make the appropriate adjustments on your Council Tax Account to assist you at this time. If you are self-employed, we may be able to amend your current payment plan to give you additional time before payments become due in order for you to claim the relevant government grant. Please use the Council Tax document form to send us details of your situation and provide any additional proof (email/letter from your employer regarding a reduction in pay, confirmation of your self-employed status or zero-hours contract etc).

The amount of Council Tax you pay depends on which valuation band your property is in.

Check your Council Tax band

Council Tax bands 2020 to 2021
Valuation band Annual Council Tax

A - up to and including £40,000

B - £40,001 to  £52,000 £1,356.94
C - £52001 to £68,000 £1,550.79
D - £68,001 to £88,000 £1,744.64
E - £88,001 to £120,000 £2,132.34
F - £120,001 to £160,000 £2,520.04
G - £160,001 to £320,000 £2,907.74
H – more than £320,000 £3,489.28

Your property is banded by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), if you have a question about your banding contact the VOA.

If you think your Council Tax band is wrong you can challenge your Council Tax band.

The appeal process is completed by the Valuation Office Agency and not the Council. Your account must still be paid on time while the appeal is progressing, or recovery action will continue. 

The Council Tax Budget information for 2020/21 can be viewed at Council Tax 2020 to 2021 (PDF, 2.2MB) and the explanatory notes at Council Tax demand notice explanatory notes.