Have your say on Bexley's Budget

People in Bexley are being invited to take part in a survey to influence the Council’s decision-making on next year’s Budget and Council Tax.

Due to falling income, increasing costs and demand, the Council faces a budget gap projected at £9m next year.

“Our aim is to deliver the priorities local people backed at the local elections in May,” said Council Leader Cllr Teresa O’Neill OBE. “We believe it is important to manage our money well and we are working hard to ensure we can deliver the important services on which people rely within the shrinking resources available to us.”

The survey is available online and takes only a few minutes to complete. It asks for views on the following proposed savings –

  • Full cost recovery for adult social care services
  • Adult social care equipment efficiencies
  • Re-routing of transport to day centres
  • Review of specialist placements
  • Reunifying looked after children with their families
  • Reduced funding for community-managed and Council libraries
  • Increased charge for residential garden waste
  • Changes to recycling and waste services

It also asks for views on Council Tax and on charging for services, as well as for other ideas to achieve the savings needed.

“We work hard to keep the Council’s costs down and the eight proposals on which we are consulting represent under 10% of the savings we have identified so far,” explained Cabinet Member for Resources, Cllr David Leaf. “We will deliver the other 90% by continuing to innovate and transform services in ways that will have little or no impact on local people.”

The responses made to the consultation will be considered by the Council’s Public Cabinet in January 2019. The Cabinet will meet again in February, when it will recommend a budget and Council Tax to full Council in early March.

You can watch a webcast of the Cabinet’s discussion of the Budget and read the papers for the meeting online.