Bexley’s Director of Public Health, Dr Anjan Ghosh is inviting schools in Bexley to continue with current Covid control arrangements until the end of term, despite the Government announcement that the legal enforcement of most of these ends this coming Monday 19 July.
Dr Ghosh’s rationale for making this recommendation is that:
- case rates in Bexley continue to rise, particularly in young people
- other local authorities are making similar recommendations
- it is only for a short period - most Bexley schools will have broken up by next Friday 23 July
- the Department for Education acknowledges that local decisions of this type may be made
- whole bubble closure is simpler and safer than leaving it to NHS Test and Trace
All Bexley schools have been written to by Dr Ghosh (PDF) thanking them for their support and hard work over the last year and outlining this recommendation for the last week of term.
In September it is expected that Bexley will follow national procedures. This local approach is only recommended until the end of the current term.