We are looking for patient and adaptable people who are practically and emotionally prepared to take on the responsibility of looking after a child. You also need to be comfortable talking to a child about their history and their birth family.
Bexley need adopters for babies, older children and sibling groups from a range of ethnic backgrounds.
We have placed many children in fostering for adoption placements which have proven to be very successful. There is specific training and assessment offered in relation to fostering for adoption.
You can find out further information about adoption and fostering for adoption in our Step in to Adoption booklet (PDF, 6MB).
Hear some personal experience of adopters by viewing the video’s below:
You will have further opportunity to hear from adopters and social workers by attending one of our monthly information sessions. We will be able to give you further details about this, when you make contact with us.
If you are unsure about whether your individual circumstances are acceptable please call us. We are here to help you make the decision.
People from a range of different backgrounds become adopters but there are some legal requirements.
You must be over the age of 21.
There is no upper age limit but we do have to consider the needs of a child when placing them for adoption.
Your current family
- you can be single or married, in a civil partnership, divorced or living with a partner, of the same or opposite sex
- you can be heterosexual, lesbian or gay
- you can be childless or already a parent.
We do look at previous experience of caring for children but it is not essential and we will take into account the different types of contact you have had with children.
Your living arrangements
You do not have to own your own home but you must have enough living space for the child and your home must be suitable at the time of your application without any major building works happening.
If you have a disability you can adopt. Experience of a disability can be positively welcomed.
Adopters can be from many cultural, ethnic, religious or social backgrounds.
Children placed for adoption by Bexley come from a range of ethnically diverse backgrounds. We therefore require adopters from all ethnicities.
We have to carefully consider a child's ethnicity when we place them and you must be able to understand all of your child's needs when you adopt.
Become an adopter
If you are interested in adopting through the London Borough of Bexley, The adoption team would welcome the opportunity to explore this further with you.
We are a highly experienced, stable, friendly and successful team who pride ourselves in providing good customer service and developing positive working relationships with all our adopters.
There are many ways you can make contact with us or find out more about adoption.
This includes being able to:
2018 Ofsted comments
- adoption practice is exceptional
- Ofsted rated outstanding
- it is very child-centred and innovative
- children are matched well with adopters, with extensive use of fostering for adoption. This means that children benefit from very early permanence without delay
- adoption support services are strong, meaning that children have the best chance of success in their adoptive families
- the adoption team provides adults with comprehensive support that focuses firmly on children
- the feedback from the families who used the adoption service is very positive
Information events 2019
If you are interested in finding out more about adoption, come along to one of our information events. This is an opportunity for you to meet members of the adoption team and discuss any questions you may have.
- 15 January 2019. 6pm to 8pm Bexley
- 12 February 2019. 6pm to 8pm Medway
- 12 March 2019. 6pm to 8pm Bexley
- 16 April 2019. 6pm to 8pm Medway
- 14 May 2019. 6pm to 8pm Bexley
- Saturday 8 June 2019 10am to 1pm Medway
- 9 July 2019. 6pm to 8pm Bexley
- 13 August 2019. 6pm to 8pm Medway
- 10 September 2019. 6pm to 8pm Bexley
- 15 October 2019. 6pm to 8pm Medway
- Saturday 9 November 2019 10am to 1pm Bexley
- 10 December 2019. 6pm to 8pm Medway