Council Tax


What is Council Tax

Council Tax is a tax on domestic properties, which helps to pay for local services.

The charge is based on 50% property and 50% people, therefore you could qualify for a discount or exemption from paying Council Tax if you or your property meet the correct criteria.

Every property has its own Council Tax band and is based on property valuations as of 1 April 1991.

The Council Tax Budget information for 2019/20 can be viewed at Council Tax 2019 to 2020 (PDF, 2.57MB)