Election types and frequency
Types of election
Bexley's Acting Returning Officer administers all national and local government elections held in the borough. The different types of an election are:
- UK Parliamentary General - there are three Members of Parliament (MPs) elected to represent Bexley; in the Bexleyheath and Crayford, Erith and Thamesmead and Old Bexley and Sidcup parliamentary constituencies. Part of the Erith and Thamesmead constituency is in the London Borough of Greenwich local authority area
- European Parliamentary - eight Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) are elected to represent the London electoral region
- London Borough of Bexley - 45 councillors are elected across the 17 electoral wards of the borough
- Mayor of London - a Mayor is elected to represent the whole of London
- Greater London Assembly - 25 London Assembly Members are elected. 14 represent a constituency area - in Bexley's case, that constituency is called Bexley and Bromley - and 11 are elected on a London-wide basis
When do elections take place?
Elections generally take place on Thursdays. The dates of elections vary according to the type of election. As a guide:
- UK Parliamentary General elections take place following the dissolution of Parliament by Her Majesty the Queen, usually at the request of the current Prime Minister. General elections must be held a maximum of five years apart. Following the introduction of new legislation, the Fixed-term Parliaments Act 2011 (as amended by the Electoral Registration and Administration Act 2013), the Government has announced that it will provide for fixed-term parliaments and the next general election will be held in May 2020
- Elections to the European Parliament take place every five years, usually in June. The next elections are due to take place in June 2019
- Elections to the London Borough of Bexley take place every four years, usually on the first Thursday in May. The next elections are due to take place on Thursday 3 May 2018
- Elections of the London Mayor and Assembly Members take place every four years, usually on the first Thursday in May. The next elections are due in May 2020
In addition, by-elections can take place at any time to fill a vacancy caused by an elected representative resigning, dying or becoming disqualified from office.