United Kingdom Parliamentary General Election - Thursday 12 December 2019
Her Majesty’s Government has announced that a UK Parliamentary General Election will be held on Thursday 12 December 2019 for residents in the London Borough of Bexley. The election will elect Members of Parliament (MPs) for the following constituencies:
- Bexleyheath & Crayford
- Old Bexley & Sidcup
- Erith & Thamesmead
On this page
- Who can vote in the UK Parliamentary General Election?
- Are you an EU Citizen living in the UK?
- Have you registered to vote?
- Timetable for voters
- Voting by post - Postal and Proxy voting
- Notice of Election
- Statement of Persons Nominated
- Situation of Polling Stations
- Contact details
Who can vote in the UK Parliamentary General Election?
The following people are able to vote in UK Parliamentary General Elections:
- British citizens
- Irish citizens
- Commonwealth citizens who have leave to enter or remain in the UK or do not require such leave
- British citizens living abroad for no more than 15 years
- eligibility to vote at different types of elections
Are you an EU Citizen living in the UK?
EU citizens cannot vote in this election.
If you are an EU citizen living in the UK and have not yet gained UK citizenship, then you cannot vote in general elections and therefore cannot vote in this election.
Have you registered to vote?
If you were registered to vote in elections earlier this year:
- you do not need to re-register to vote again for the UK Parliamentary General Election unless you have moved and have not already re-registered
- your poll card will be sent out during early November 2019
- if you do not receive a poll card, then check with the Electoral Services team on 020 8303 7777, as you will need to be registered by the deadline date in order to vote
The deadline for receiving applications to register to vote is midnight on 26 November 2019.
See a list of who is eligible to vote at different types of elections.
In order to vote in the Parliamentary elections, you must be registered.
Timetable for voters
- poll cards will not go out until November and are likely to take up to two weeks for everyone to receive their poll card
- postal votes will go out around Friday 22 November 2019
- the deadline to register is Tuesday 26 November 2019
- the deadline to apply for a postal vote is 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019
- the deadline to apply to vote by proxy (someone to vote on your behalf) is 5pm on Wednesday 4 December 2019
- polling day is Thursday 12 December 2019 – 7am to 10pm
Voting by post - Postal and proxy voting
Under current legislation, anyone who wishes to vote in this way needs to complete the application, giving a specimen of their signature and their date of birth. These ‘personal identifiers’ are securely stored. If you are unable to sign in a consistent or distinctive way because of a disability, you may be granted an exemption from doing so. For further information, please contact us at the address provided below.
An application for a postal vote, or notification to change, or cancel one, must be received in the Electoral Services office by 5pm on the eleventh working day before an election – Tuesday 26 November 2019.
When you receive your postal vote, in addition to casting your vote on the ballot paper(s), you must provide your signature and date of birth on the postal voting statement. This is then checked against the personal identifiers on your application to ensure your vote remains secure.
The completed documents need to be back to us by close of poll on polling day. They can be sent back free of charge (in the UK) in the return envelope provided, handed into the council offices, or given to the Presiding Officer at a polling station on polling day in the electoral area.
Postal votes received by us after close of poll at 10pm on Thursday 12 December 2019 cannot be included in the count.
If you have a postal vote, you will not be able to vote at your polling station on the day of the election.
NOTICE OF ELECTION (PDF copy, 103KB)
Parliamentary Election of Members of Parliament
For the Bexleyheath & Crayford, Erith and Thamesmead and Old Bexley and Sidcup Parliamentary Constituencies within the London Borough of Bexley
- Forms of nomination paper may be obtained from the Acting Returning Officer, London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7AT who will at the request of any elector for the said electoral area, prepare for signature a nomination paper
- Nomination papers must be delivered by the Candidate, Election Agent, Proposer or Seconder to the ACTING RETURNING OFFICER, London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, Room 5, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7AT, on any day after the date of this notice, between the hours of 10am and 4pm on any working day after the date of this notice, but not later than 4pm on Thursday 14 November 2019. If the election is contested, the poll will take place on Thursday 12 December 2019
- The deposit of £500 may be made, either in legal tender, or in the form of a Banker’s Draft (Made payable to: London Borough of Bexley)
- New applications to vote by post and requests to cancel, or amend an existing Postal or Postal Proxy Vote, must reach the Electoral Services Office at London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7AT, by 5pm on Tuesday 26 November 2019, if they are to be effective for this election
- New applications to vote by Proxy except on the grounds of a medical, or work emergency must reach the Electoral Services Office at London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7AT by 5pm on Wednesday 4 December 2019, if they are to be effective for this election
- Applications to vote by Emergency Proxy on the grounds of a medical, or work reasons must reach the Electoral Services Office at London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street, Bexleyheath, Kent, DA6 7AT by 5pm on Thursday 12 December 2019 if they are to be effective for this election
Dated: 7 November 2019
Acting Returning Officer
Printed and published by the Acting Returning Officer, London Borough of Bexley, Civic Offices, Watling Street, Bexleyheath DA6 7AT
Statement of Persons Nominated
The Statement of Persons Nominated will be available here after 5pm on Thursday 14 November 2019.
Situation of Polling Stations
The Situation of Polling Stations will be available here after 5pm on Thursday 14 November 2019.
London Borough of Bexley
2 Watling Street
Tel: 020 8303 7777