Support for most asylum seekers is now provided by the National Asylum Support Service which is part of the Home Office.

However the social services department of the Council retains the responsibility for providing support to unaccompanied minors (under the age of 18 years) and asylum seekers with physical impairments, hearing or visual impairments, learning impairments, mental health issues or chronic ill health.

For more information visit Home Office - Asylum support or Refugee Council.