Free cycle training
Bexley offers free cycle training to both adults and children who live, work and/or attend school in the borough.
For children, Bexley offers:
- school-based Bikeability courses to children aged 10 years+ who are competent cyclists
- free holiday courses
For adults, Bexley offers:
- free, tailored courses to suit individual abilities and goals
- a free, tailored session and practice in a safe off-road environment with a fully qualified instructor
- GET BOB (back on bikes) - if you haven’t been on a bike for some time and need to get back into cycling, this is the perfect way to improve your confidence and skills
- a free group session to improve your urban (on-road) cycling skills
- a free one-to-one session from a fully qualified trainer to perfect your advanced cycling skills
- free family cycling sessions to gain confidence and learn skills to cycle as a family
Free online Cycle Skills course
Whether you're new to cycling or just want to brush up on your skills, TfL’s free online Cycle Skills course provides easy to follow tips and advice to get you going. There are four short modules to try. And if you complete all four modules, you’ll receive a unique 15% discount code so you can save on Halfords own-brand cycle lights, locks and helmets.
- tips to get you and your cycle prepared for the road
- how to start cycling on the road safely and responsibly
- tips to brush up on your cycling skills
- how to cycle in a group with children or adults
What are you waiting for? register now
Work with schools and colleges
Bexley runs various road safety education and training projects with schools and colleges to promote safer behaviour on our roads.
- electing Junior Road Safety Officers amongst Year 5 or Year 6 students, whose role it is to promote road safety in their school
- The Children’s Traffic Club, which helps parents to teach children aged three to five how to stay safe when out walking, playing and travelling in cars or buses
- Bikeability cycle training for Year 6 and above
- ‘Walkability’ pedestrian skills training programme for children in Year 3
- commissioning Theatre-in-Education tours
- offering bespoke class talks, assemblies and other road safety education input to schools
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
School crossing patrols
School crossing patrols are employed by Bexley to help children cross the road safely on their way to and from school.
You can find out more about our school crossing patrol vacancies, by visiting our jobs and careers