If you have lost your dog

Call the Contact Centre on 020 8303 7777 who will provide you with the details of our kennels and log details about your dog.

We may already have collected your dog or have information on its location. If not, we will take your details and inform you immediately should we receive any information. Leave as many contact telephone numbers as possible

Stray dogs will be kept at the Council's kennels for a period of seven clear days, after which time the dog becomes the property of the Council and may be re-homed, passed to a rescue society or destroyed.

A dog would only be destroyed if it could not be re-homed due to illness or behavioural problems.

A fee of £130 is payable before an owner may reclaim a stray dog. If the dog carries identification, either microchip or a collar and tag and it is the first time it has been picked up the fee is reduced to £65.

To pay a fee please complete the kennels payment form


If you have found a dog

We cannot collect it if it is roaming, so if it is safe and practical, catch the dog. If possible return it to the owner if the dog carries identification that enables you to contact them.

Otherwise, telephone the Contact Centre on 020 8303 7777 who will provide you with the details of our kennels so you can take the dog there or arrange for them to collect it between Monday and Friday 9am to 4pm.

If you have found a stray dog and wish to keep it yourself, this may be possible but you must follow the correct procedure. You will need to inform the kennels of your wish and they will advise you of the procedure.

Dangerous dogs

It is an offence under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 to allow a dog of any breed to be dangerously out of control. The definition of a dangerous dog can be found on GOV.UK.

If you have been involved in an incident with a dangerous dog please report this to the Police in the first instance.

The Council can investigate and give advice on dangerous dog behaviour that may cause problems to other people, animals or property. Please report problems to the Environmental Protection team by completing the animal advice and complaints form.