Apply for DHP

Discretionary housing payments (DHP) can provide extra help with your housing costs where Housing Benefit or Universal Credit does not cover your rent in full.

There are no rules that give anyone a right to payment, but we will look at your circumstances to see whether you are eligible for a DHP. Applications are considered on a case-by-case basis and if successful, DHPs may be awarded as a one-off payment and/or a series of payments.

Do not use this form to report a change of circumstance regarding housing benefit or to submit documents. Please go to Help with rent or Council Tax to report a change of circumstance for housing benefit.

Apply for DHP

If you need help or assistance to complete the form please email or call 020 3045 3546.

The Council may request any reasonable evidence in support of your claim and will consider any other available evidence held by Housing Services or Housing Benefit.

Our decision

We will send you (and the landlord if a payment is being made directly to them) the outcome of your application by email wherever possible.

If the application is successful you will be advised of the amount awarded, the start and end date and how, when and to whom the award will be paid.

If the application is unsuccessful you will be advised of the reason for the decision and the right to appeal will be explained.

Wherever possible DHPs will be paid directly to the Landlord unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Change of circumstances

If we give you a DHP, you must tell us immediately if there are any changes in your circumstances.

Report a change of circumstances

This form is for reporting changes for discretionary housing payments only. If you need to report a change to the Benefits Office for Housing Benefit/Council Tax Reduction please use the online form Report a change in circumstances or ask a question.