Reporting an abandoned vehicle

The Council will deal with abandoned vehicles on the public highway and certain areas of private land. The vehicle will be inspected and removed subject to satisfactory clearance of statutory legal checks and confirmation it is abandoned.

An abandoned vehicle is usually:

  • untaxed
  • in a state of disrepair or vandalised
  • is causing a hazard or safety issue
  • is fire-damaged or burnt out
  • has been in the same position on a public road for a long period of time
  • the owner or keeper cannot be identified

It is no longer necessary to display a tax disc on a vehicle, so before you report an abandoned vehicle, check with the DVLA to see if a vehicle is taxed or is declared Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

Vehicles declared SORN should be kept on private property and not on the public highway. If you have a vehicle you wish to scrap, you must get it scrapped at an authorised treatment facility (ATF), more information can be found at scrapping your vehicle and insurance write-offs at GOV.UK.

Abandoned vehicles on private property

A fee is payable for private property owners who wish to have a vehicle investigated for removal. The cost is for an investigation and does not guarantee removal. Completion of a consent form is also required.

Please get in touch with for more information.

Report abandoned or untaxed vehicles