Register of Common Land and Village Greens

The London Borough of Bexley maintains the Register of Common Land and Village Greens for land within its boundaries.

Applications to search the register

You should select enquiry number 22 on form CON29O; the fee is £33.00.

The easiest way to submit your search request is by using the Council's own electronic search portal Land Charges online. This allows you to order and pay for your search online. You can also maintain a history of your search requests and results. First-time users will have to register to use the portal.

Order and pay for your search

You can also:

  • email We will then email you a link which will allow you to use your debit/credit card to pay online securely
  • submit Searches by post using the Royal Mail service, however this may take longer to process. These should be accompanied by a cheque made payable to London Borough of Bexley. Please provide an email address as your results will be returned electronically. Please note that we no longer use the DX service

Electronic search requests can also be submitted using National Land Information Service (NLIS) and TM Search Group.

A copy of the Register of Common Land and Village Greens is available to view at reception, Civic Offices, 2 Watling Street. If you need to inspect the original register, please contact the local land charges team on 020 3045 4000 to make an appointment.

Environmental Information Regulations 2004

For those wishing to inspect the Register under the Environmental Information Regulations (E.I.R.) a copy of The Register of Common Land and Village Greens is available to inspect at Civic Offices reception.

Applications to register a new town, village green or common land

Application forms and guidance notes for registering new greens can be downloaded from the Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs. You may also find the Open Spaces Society helpful. When you have completed your forms, please telephone the local land charges section on 020 3045 4000 to arrange an appointment to hand in the forms and supporting documentation.

Applications to correct the registers

Under the Commons Act 2006, from 15 December 2014 applications may be made to:

  • a) correct errors made by the council or its predecessors when registering common land and town or village greens, and
  • b) remove buildings and/or land that were wrongly registered as common land and/or town and village greens

A fee of £1,000 is payable for applications under (b). If the application is referred to the Planning Inspectorate an additional fee will be payable. For more details please visit GOV.UK - Commons registers: apply to rectify them.