Application for prior approval (Control of Pollution Act 1974 Section 61)

Construction companies involved in large complex projects or works that require track possession on the railways, need to have certainty that their program of works will not be interrupted due to action being taken to control noise.

They can apply for prior approval of the work providing that they can show that the works will not cause unreasonable disturbance to neighbours. This means that they will need to calculate noise levels for the project, then consider whether mitigation is needed to reduce the noise impact to acceptable levels. Prior consent is only given in cases where it is demonstrated that action to control noise from the works would not be necessary.

Apply for Section 61 prior consent