How to apply for or renew a Blue Badge
If you have a health condition or difficulty walking and you are a driver or a passenger, you can apply for a Blue Badge through Inspire Community Trust.
If you can’t download the form, you can pick up a paper copy from:
- any Bexley library (except Bexley Village and Slade Green)
- the Bexley Civic Offices in Watling Street
- the Inspire office in Slade Green
Things you should know about Blue Badges
You don’t have to give us medical information with your application, but it can help us to understand your needs. If you don’t qualify automatically, we’ll need to meet you and assess how your disability affects your walking. We might also ask to contact your consultant.
Badges are free, but we charge £10 for administration costs when you apply. We’ll refund this if you don’t qualify. If you get a badge, you must pick it up in person (even if you’re renewing an existing one).
There are rules for using a Blue Badge fairly. You can read these on the government website.
Who can apply for a Blue Badge?
Some people automatically qualify for a badge. Those who don’t will need to attend a mobility assessment. Badges can be used by anyone over the age of 2.
You’ll automatically qualify if you meet any of these criteria:
- you get the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance or point 8 or above of the Personal Independence Payment for moving around (with at least 8 months to run at the time you apply)
- you’re registered as severely sight impaired (blind)
- you get the War Pensioners Mobility Supplement
You might qualify if you meet either or both of these criteria:
- you have a permanent and substantial disability that makes walking very difficult or means you can’t walk
- you drive a car regularly and have a severe disability in both arms that makes it difficult or impossible to work a parking meter
If you have a child under 3 years old, you can apply for a badge if they have a condition that means you need to be near a vehicle at all times to give treatment or get to a hospital.