Rubbish on private property

If you are being affected by an accumulation of rubbish on private land which is either:

  • likely to attract rats and vermin
  • a nuisance

You can complain to the Environmental Protection team by completing our fly-tipping form.

Report rubbish accumulation

It is the responsibility of the landowner to remove rubbish on private land. The Council will investigate any complaints it receives and may use enforcement powers to require the landowner to remove any rubbish. If necessary, the Council can carry out the work and subsequently reclaim their costs.

Fly-tipping in private alleyways

Private alleyways at the side of, or back onto houses or businesses are normally the responsibility of the householders/businesses to maintain and keep clean. The London Borough of Bexley can remove this type of waste to prevent rat infestation but can charge the owners for removal.

If you have problems with fly-tipping in your alleyway or experience anti-social behaviour, why not gate the alleyway which will stop any unauthorised access and improve security. Domestic waste can be taken free to Foots Cray and Thames Road reuse and recycling centres.

Householders' duty of care

Waste not correctly disposed of and deposited on land is classed as fly-tipping and anyone found guilty can face fines of up to £50,000 or up to 12 months imprisonment through the Magistrates’ court.

Anyone who takes waste away for you must hold a Waste Carriers Licence and as a resident, you are responsible for making sure that you only employ someone that has a licence. Licences can be checked on the Environment Agency’s waste carriers register.

You should also complete a Duty of care waste transfer note with your contractor.

You will be committing offences and can be prosecuted if you give your waste to anyone not licensed to carry and dispose of controlled waste.