Special types of registration

The Register of Electors is a list of everyone in the borough of Bexley who is registered to vote. In order to vote, your name must be included on the Register of Electors for the area where you live.

Service voters

Members of the armed forces and their partners may register as service voters but must register annually online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote, or they can now register as ordinary electors.

Crown servants

Crown servants working abroad and their partners may register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Overseas electors

British Citizens living abroad may register online at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote. They can remain registered for up to 15 years after they last appeared on the register of electors in the United Kingdom.

Citizens of the European Union Member States may vote at local and European elections.

Anonymous registration

Certain people can now apply to be entered anonymously on the register of electors. Although the register of electors is in alphabetical street order and not name order, there are some people who feel that being on the register of electors could affect their safety. e.g. people escaping from domestic violence or those where their occupation would mean they must keep their identity private.

If you feel that you are at risk by your name appearing on the register of electors you can apply to be entered anonymously and if your application is accepted your name and address will not be shown. Any person living with you can also apply to vote in this way.

You will need to complete a form giving the reason for needing to be registered anonymously. You are required by law to provide documentary evidence in the form of a court order or injunction. If you do not have either of these you are required by law for your application to be supported by one of the following people:

  • a Police Officer of, or above the rank of, Superintendent
  • the Director General of the Security Services or the Serious Organised Crime Agency; or
  • a Director of Adult Social Services/Children Services

The qualifying officer does not have to be based in the same area as you, but the supporting documentation cannot be signed by a more junior person within their organisation.

To apply to register anonymously: