Disability Confident Employer
Different experiences of life, ages, lifestyles, cultures and beliefs reflect the reality of the community we serve.
By harnessing these differences we can create an environment where every individual feels valued and encouraged, where individual talents are recognised, developed and utilised. In doing so, a diverse workforce ensures we are a successful organisation.
Being a partner of Change 100 has assisted us in becoming a Level 2 disability confident employer.
We recognise that traditional methods of using an application form, formal interview and assessment tests could potentially exclude people with particular disabilities and impairments.
We accept the following different methods giving evidence of ability against the specified criteria:
- a separate typed sheet
- application form completed on behalf of the applicant
- CV supported by video/DVD
- statements from others who have observed the applicant and can comment on their ability to meet the criteria in the person specification
Disabled applicants may request a reasonable time after the advertised closing date to submit an application. Please email Recruitment@bexley.gov.uk to agree additional time.
The selection process
- candidates who are short-listed may take part in an assessment, this may comprise of various tests lasting approximately one to two hours
- these tests are designed to assess key competencies in the person specification
- you will then be invited for a panel interview which will last for about 30 - 45 minutes
- you will be asked competency and experience-based questions relating to the role
The selection process for Apprenticeships
- you will be invited to attend an interview which will last for about 30 to 45 minutes
- details of the role including information about your willingness to commit to combining the on-the-job learning while studying for a formal qualification will be discussed to ensure this opportunity will meet your hopes and expectations
- you will be asked competency-based questions relating to the role and will be required to provide examples of what you can bring to the role
Please email Recruitment@bexley.gov.uk to discuss any adjustments you may require during the selection process to ensure they are put in place.
Guaranteed interview scheme for disabled people
- we operate the guaranteed interview scheme for people with disabilities
- we guarantee to interview anyone with a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post
- by 'minimum criteria’, we mean the essential criteria as set out in the person specification for the post
If you wish to apply for consideration under this scheme, then please complete the section in the application form including any special arrangements you may require during the selection process. This will enable us to make the appropriate arrangements, if necessary.
Change100 Internship Programme
We are proud partners of Change 100. Change 100 matches the best diverse talent with progressive employers.
The award-winning programme aims to remove barriers experienced by disabled people in the workplace and to allow them to achieve their potential. The programme provides internship opportunities for students and graduates with disabilities or long-term health conditions who are in their penultimate or final year of university or have graduated in the last two years.
See more about Change100