Civil partnerships

If you and your same-sex partner would like to formalise and celebrate your relationship, you can register a civil partnership. We can also help you arrange an optional civil partnership ceremony to celebrate the day.

Give notice of your civil partnership

Before you can register your civil partnership, it is a legal requirement that you give notice of your civil partnership at your local register office. Contact your local register office to make an appointment to give notice.

Register a Civil Partnership

In Kent and Bexley only a registrar appointed by us can register a civil partnership.

Search A Kentish Ceremony for licensed venues and register offices for Information about booking a civil partnership, venues, ideas and suppliers.

Both partners will sign the registration document in the presence of two witnesses and the registrar. Contact your local register office to arrange a registration.


Fees are payable for:

  • notice of partnership
  • attendance of registration staff at the ceremony (including a non-refundable booking confirmation fee to guarantee your chosen date and time)
  • civil partnership certificate(s).

Download the ceremony fees and terms and conditions of acceptance.

Convert your civil partnership into a marriage

You can also convert your existing civil partnership into a marriage.