Licencing a venue

Kent County Council licences Kent and Bexley venues for civil marriages and civil partnerships. A venue licence needs to be renewed every three years.

Suitable venues and regulations

Venues, including gazebos, must be a permanent structure and must fulfil the licence requirements and conditions. Temporary structures, such as marquees, cannot be licensed.

Before you apply, read the licensing information booklet (PDF, 386 KB), which includes venue and gazebo regulations and licence conditions.

Licence fees

Number of  ceremony roomsCost
6 or more£2,400
  • an additional ceremony room during a three-year licence: £500
  • appeal against the refusal of licence/licence conditions/decision to revoke: £1,000

Apply for a licence

Before you begin the process, we can inspect your venue at no charge and can give you advice about your venue before you submit a formal application.

If you would like a free inspection of your venue, contact us at or telephone 03000 414003.

Apply online for a venue licence or change a current licence:

Applications for a licence to use premises for civil marriage and civil partnership

Apply for a licence

Application to change a licence to use premises for civil marriage and civil partnership

Apply to change a licence

If you have any questions about applying for a venue licence, contact us by calling 03000 414003 or

If you do not agree with a decision

If your application is declined, you have the right to have a review of the decision. To get a review of the decision, telephone 03000 414003 or email

Current venue licence applications in Kent and Bexley

View a list of the current venue licence applications we have received.