Let us know your new address

If you are moving into or out of a property in the London Borough of Bexley area, you need to notify the council as soon as possible of your change of address details.

Use this service to tell us you are moving:

  • in to the London Borough of Bexley
  • within the borough, from one property to another
  • out of the borough

Update your address

Moving into Bexley

Please inform us of your new address as soon as possible, so that an opening bill can be sent to you. You can register and complete a Direct Debit instruction to pay for the charges due and apply for any relevant discounts.

You will need to notify your old council you have moved out of their area.

Moving within Bexley

If your circumstances have not changed, we normally transfer your details to your new address, including your Direct Debit and any credit you may have accrued at your previous address.

Any credit is used to offset your new charge, if there is still a credit after this, you will receive a refund.

Moving outside Bexley

Inform us of your forwarding address as soon as possible, so that a closing bill can be sent to you. You will need to notify your new council you have moved into their area.

If you are signed up for any of our paid subscription services like the Garden waste collection service, you must contact these council departments separately to cancel your subscription or service.


If you are due a refund and pay by Direct Debit a refund will be processed without the need for you to complete a refund request form. If you pay by cash or card, complete a refund request form. Payments are made twice weekly by BACs and take three working days to be paid into a bank account.

Apply for a refund if you have overpaid your Council Tax account

Private Landlords

Private Landlords will be liable for Council Tax for the period their property is unrented.

Inform the council immediately of any changes of tenants at the property. If you have multiple tenants, your property could be classed as a House of Multiple Occupation (HMO). If this is the case, you will be liable to pay Council Tax and not the tenants.

Empty Property charges

You will have to pay full Council Tax if you:

  • leave your furnished or unfurnished property empty
  • leave your property empty while it is being altered
  • have a second home

If you leave your property empty and unfurnished for two years or more, the council will charge an extra 50% to your Council Tax bill. This will increase to 100%  from April 2019. This means you will pay 200% Council Tax on the property. This is called the empty homes premium.

Liability disputes

Sometimes there are overlaps from moving from one property to another, if you have moved out of your property and still hold the tenancy or are still the owner and the property is empty, you will be liable to pay Council Tax until the tenancy ends or the property sale is completed.

If you have received a final Council Tax bill and do not agree with the dates, email bexley.ctax@secure.capita.co.uk