Warm and welcoming places for residents
As winter draws in and the weather takes a turn for the worse, we have been working with our local partners to identify safe places that can provide free and welcoming warm spaces for our residents.
These are non-judgemental spaces where people could visit to enjoy some company, meet new people or simply relax, read or work while staying warm.
Please let us know if you have opened a warm community space and would like to be included in our list.
All six libraries across the borough are open to everyone, offering a warm and welcoming space.
Visit the Bexley libraries website to find out more about our library opening hours and their regular events.
All our libraries have free wifi.
Blackfen Community Library, 7 - 9 Blackfen Parade, Blackfen DA15 9LU
- Tuesday to Friday 9.30am to 5pm
- Saturday 9.30am to 3pm
We have a variety of activities and events on, with wW-Fi, computers and laptops available for people to use for free. We have work areas and comfortable seating for people to hang out. We have an affordable coffee shop on site selling hot drinks, breakfast, lunches and treats.
They are open to anyone.
Christ Church, Bexleyheath Broadway, Bexleyheath, DA6 7BT
Sunbeams - preschool group for mums and children under 5
- Thursday morning during term time - 10:30am until 12 noon
- in the Roberts Hall at Christ Church Bexleyheath
Galaxy Club - for Special Needs children, young people and adults
- Tuesday afternoon and evening during term time
- in the Roberts Hal at Christ Church Bexleyheath
Josie’s Vintage café - breakfast at very low prices plus a listening ear
- Saturday mornings every week
Further information is available on the Christ Church Bexleyheath website, or by contacting Rev. Trevor Wyatt at firstname.lastname@example.org
St Augustine, Slade Green, Slade Green Road, Slade Green DA8 2HX
Welcome Café. Dementia Friendly.
- 11am to 12:30pm - tea, coffee and cake
- 12:30pm to 2pm - soup and sandwiches
Further information is available from the St Augustine Website.
St John the Evangelist Church, Church Road, Sidcup DA14 6BX
A space with board games, books, and places for people to chat, read, or study. Toddler play area and a quiet area for working and studying.
Free Wi-Fi. Refreshments are provided including hot drinks.
- Tuesday 2:30pm to 3:30pm - singing group for anyone with memory issues/living with dementia and his/her carer - tea, coffee and cake provided - free
- Wednesday 10am to 1pm - everyone welcome - coffee, tea, cakes, children's area, Wi-Fi - free
- Saturday 10am to 12 noon - everyone welcome - pancakes, fruit and sauces - free
Place of welcome
Free coffee (and other hot drinks), delicious cakes, biscuits, free Wi-Fi, children’s corner and a chat or a time of quiet.
- every Wednesday from 10am to 1pm
The Exchange, The Old Library, Walnut Tree Road, Erith DA8 1RS
Our doors are open for all to use our 'Town Square' - the main space at The Exchange
- every Thursday to Saturday from 11am to 4pm
You can use the space to work, study, meet, or simply to keep warm, for free. You can also find out about what else is going on in the local area including information about local support service.
Free - no booking required.
Welling Salvation Army, 124 Welling High Street, Welling DA16 1TJ
Coffee Morning - no charge, but donations are welcome.
- Fridays 10am to 12noon
New Community Church, 24 Station Road, Sidcup, DA15 7DU
- coffee bar opens Wednesday 9:30am to 4pm
Workspace, Warm space, free wifi, mobile phone charging and hot drinks.
St Andrews Church, Marylands Drive, Albany Park, DA14 4RY
- fill my cup Friday 10am to 12noon
Free hot drinks, cake and biscuits, free wifi, activities and books to take away.
Peabody - Cosy Corners
Peabody has introduced Cosy Corners at some of their community centres based in and around Thamesmead and everyone is welcome.
- free tea and coffee
- energy saving advice
- use of charging points
- get support and advice about the cost of living
Visit the Peabody website to find the community centres that have introduced Cosy Corners and their opening times.
The Salvation Army, Lion Road, Bexleyheath DA6 8NR
- we invite you to our Warm Space on a Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10am to 2pm
During this time we provide free tea/coffee and cake as well as soup and a roll from 12noon.
We also provide free Wi-Fi.
All free of charge! - all ages welcome.
For more information, call 020 8092 7256.