Starting secondary school

You apply for your child’s secondary school place at the beginning of year 6.


Most people apply online, as they find it quick and easy. 

Apply for a secondary school

If you need to apply using a paper form, get in touch  - and keep in mind that you’ll have a slightly shorter deadline to hand it in.

If you don’t live in Bexley, even if you will when school starts, you must apply through your current local council. You can list Bexley schools on their form.

If your child goes to Harris Garrard Academy as a primary school pupil, and you want them to stay there, you don’t need to apply. They’ll automatically move up as it’s an ‘all-through’ school.

What you need to hand:

  • proof of your child’s date of birth: their birth certificate, passport or medical card
  • proof of your address: a council tax bill or tenancy agreement

If you’re living with a friend or relative and you’re not named on the council tax account, you can use a copy of your child benefit statement or tax credits letter. We don’t accept utility bills, driver’s licences or bank statements as proof of address.

PDF Booklet


Moving up to secondary school is a significant step, and parents and carers often have questions. We’ve answered the main ones on the next few pages and covered in our PDF booklet - Admission to secondary schools in Bexley 2020*

*This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format