Local land charges property searches

When you borrow money against a property, the lender invariably requires a Local Authority Search to be carried out.

As buying a property is usually the biggest financial commitment most of us make, we would always recommend that you use a solicitor or licensed conveyancer to carry out the conveyancing and searches.

Search fees

Local land charges search fees - (residential and commercial). VAT is chargeable on Con 29 fees from 1 January 2017 Net fee VAT Total fee
Standard Search (LLC1 and Con29) £96.33 £13.67 £110.00
LLC1 only £28.00 N/A £28.00
Con29 only £68.33 £13.67 £82.00
Additional parcel LLC1 only £9.00 N/A £9.00
Additional parcel Con29 only £27.50 £5.50 £33.00
Each Con29O optional enquiry £27.50 £5.50 £33.00
Personal search inspection of the Register of Local Land Charges at the Civic Offices (Environmental Information Regulations) Free N/A Free
Each additional question £55.00 N/A £55.00
Copy documents - per document £16.00 N/A £16.00
Duplicate search Free N/A Free

Search submission and payment

Our fees are detailed in the above table; we do not have a separate fee structure for commercial properties.

Fees for local authority searches cannot be waived.

All search requests should be accompanied by an Ordnance Survey quality site plan. Commercial, industrial and land site requests must be accompanied by a site plan.

The easiest way to submit your search request is by using the Council's own electronic search portal Land Charges online. The benefits of using the Council’s own portal include:

  • order and pay for your search online
  • select addresses from the Council's central database
  • the search request goes directly from your browser to the local land charges team
  • you can also maintain a history of your search requests and results
  • results are fully downloadable
  • Unlike some other search portal providers, we do not charge an additional transaction fee.

First-time users will have to register to use the portal. Please note that we are currently unable to offer replies to individual CON29 enquiries using this system.

You can email your search request to land.charges@bexley.gov.uk. We will then email you a link which will allow you to use your debit/credit card to pay online securely. Alternatively, you can pay by telephone using a debit/credit card. The results will be returned by email.

Searches can also be submitted by post or DX; our DX number is DX31807 Bexleyheath 1. These should be accompanied by a cheque made payable to London Borough of Bexley. Please provide an email address if you would like your results to be returned electronically.

Response times

We aim to return all search requests including requests to view the Register of Local Land Charges at the Civic Offices within five working days.

Urgent searches

If the search is urgent then please let us know as we may be able to arrange an urgent response. There is no additional charge for this.

Search contents

The typical local authority search will only tell you information about the property that you are buying. You can, however, raise additional enquiries with your search asking about development proposals within 200 metres of the property. This will incur an additional fee. Please see the table of charges above.

Examples of information given in the local authority search include:

  • planning history for the property itself from 1 August 1977
  • conservation areas
  • tree preservation orders
  • listed building status
  • certain legal agreements
  • improvement grants
  • financial charges imposed by the Council
  • Council or state road or rail schemes within 200 metres of the property
  • compulsory purchase orders made by the Council
  • the designation of the property on the Council's Unitary Development Plan
  • maintenance of roads given in the property address
  • building control information from 1 January 2000

Property ownership/boundaries

Enquiries for information about who owns a property and details of boundaries should be made to the Land Registry.

Drainage and sewerage enquiries

Enquiries about drainage and sewerage matters should be made to Thames Water.


For more information about Crossrail, please visit Crossrail.