Building notices

Building notices are used for small domestic alterations and cannot be submitted for non-domestic works or for works to communal areas of flats or be submitted for extensions that are over, or within 3m, of drainage controlled by Thames Water.

No formal decision is given on the submission of a building notice, so it is recommended that details of your proposal be provided prior to works starting on site so that a building control officer can assess and provide guidance.

A completion certificate will be provided when the building control officer has seen the work on-site completed and satisfactorily meets the regulations.

All fees must be paid with the submission of the building notice application and work must commence within three years of submission otherwise the application will be declared of no effect and the application will have to be resubmitted.

Apply for a building notice

Building notice application notes/checklist