Register a food business

Registration of premises used for a food business, including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures, is required by law.

Registration is free and involves completing an application form and sending it to our Food Safety section.

Register a food business

Notes for registration of food business premises

These notes are provided for information only and should not be regarded as complete statement of law.

What is registration?

Registration of a food business (including market stalls, delivery vehicles and other moveable structures) is required by law. Registration will allow local authorities to keep an up-to-date list of all those premises in their area so they can visit them when they need to. The frequency of the visits will depend on the degree of risk involved.

Who needs to register?

All food businesses will need to register.

If you operate a food business you must let your local authority know about any premises you use for the production, processing or distribution of food whether the business is for profit or not and whether public or private. Food businesses include restaurants, hotels, cafes, shops, supermarkets, staff canteens, kitchens in offices, warehouses, guest houses, delivery vehicles, buffet cars on trains, market and other stalls, hot dog and ice cream vans, etc.

If you use vehicles for your food business in connection with permanent premises such as a shop, warehouse etc you will need to tell your local authority how many vehicles you have. You do not need to register each vehicle separately but you will need to tell your local authority where they are normally kept.

Anyone starting a new food business must register with the local authority at least 28 days before doing so.

Certain types of businesses will need to be approved, rather than registered e.g. those producing meat and meat products, egg products, milk and milk products and fish and fish products. You should contact your local authority if you think your business might need approval.

How do I register?

By filling in this form. Registration cannot be refused and there is no charge. Your completed registration form must be returned to the local authority where area your food business is located. The address can be found on the form. If the form is sent to the wrong local authority your application will not take effect until the correct one has received it. If you have food businesses in more than one local authority area, you must register with each authority separately.

You must tick all the boxes that apply to your business, answer all the questions and give all the information requested. If there are any questions that you are not sure about please contact your local authority, they will help you.

It is an offence to fail to give information required on this form or to give information that you know is false. You could be liable to a fine, upon conviction, of up to £5,000 for each of these offences.

What happens to the information given on the form?

The local authority will enter the details on its Register. A register of the name of the food business operator; the name of the food business (if any), the address of the food business establishment and the type of business carried on at each can be viewed by the general public. Records of the other information provided will not be publicly available, subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Data Protection Acts.


After this form has been submitted, food business operators must notify any changes to the activities stated above, or closure, to the local authority and should do so within 28 days of the change(s) happening.