If you are planning to carry out demolition work greater than 50m3 in volume (some exemptions apply) you will need to notify us before you start under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 (the Act). This volume is approximately the size of a 2 storey residential rear extension.

  • an application form should be submitted to the council at least six weeks before the work is due to start
  • demolition works should not start until either the 6 weeks have elapsed or we serve a Notice under Section 81 of the Act

Apply for demolitions