Which bin should I use?
Most homes in Bexley have three wheeled bins: one for general rubbish and two for recycling. You’ll also get a food waste box and a caddy to use in the kitchen.
Please ensure you place your bins out by 6am on your collection day.
If you live in certain flats or houses, you might have boxes, bags or communal bins. In that case, see What goes in large communal recycling bins? for more information on how to sort your recycling.
Storing your recycling safely
Rubbish fires are generally caused by careless disposal of cigarettes or glass bottles or broken glass acting as a magnifier for the heat of the sun.
During the current industrial dispute please think about how you store waste at your home.
- take recycling to refuse sites/pop-up sites regularly so it does not build up
- try not to have the waste too close to your home so if a fire should occur it won’t easily spread
- if you have glass and bottles try to cover them so the glass cannot act as a magnifier for the sun particularly whilst the weather is so hot.
- don’t have bonfires to get rid of your waste, in current conditions, the smallest spark on grass or fencing can create a huge fire in a matter of minutes
- be careful discarding cigarettes, make sure they are fully extinguished