Approved food premises

If you operate food premises you may need to be approved by your local authority.

Licence summary

Examples of types of premises that are required to be approved local authorities are stand-alone (ie not attached to a slaughterhouse, cutting plant or game handling establishment).

You should contact your local authority to see if you require approval.

  • meat processing plants
  • meat preparation plants
  • minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat processing plants
  • cold stores

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

Regulation summary

To obtain approval for products of animal origin, you will need to meet certain hygiene standards set out in Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 Hygiene Rules for Food of Animal Origin and Regulation (EC) No 852/2004.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact the Licensing team.


To apply for approved food premises or to tell us about a change to your approved food premises, email

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

To make a complaint about a food premise complete the form.

Alternatively, we would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, The Citizens Advice consumer service will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

About noise, pollution, for example. Also, should one licence holder complain about another.