Garden waste service for houses
The garden waste collection service costs £33* for the first year (£1.32 per collection). Garden waste should not be placed in your green refuse bin.
*Current charges valid until 31 March 2019.
Garden recycling bin
Members of the scheme receive:
- a 240-litre garden recycling bin
- 25 fortnightly collections per year (collections are suspended over Christmas and New Year)
- scheme membership lasts for 12 months
- bins are delivered to members approximately ten days after sign up
- your first collection will be within the next 10 working days on the same day but opposite week to your refuse collection
- residents who have larger gardens may subscribe to multiple wheeled bins, each payable at £30. Up to four additional bins can be applied for. The renewal date for all bins will be the date you originally set up your first subscription
The garden waste bin will be emptied fortnightly on the opposite week to your green refuse bin.
Make sure your garden waste bin does not contain any food recycling. Food recycling is collected separately in a food recycling box.
Renewing the scheme membership
The garden waste service team will either email or write to you approximately six weeks before the date that your membership expires. They will tell you what action you need to take or renew online.
Cancelling your scheme membership
- membership can be cancelled online
- if purchasing the service for the first time, you have 14 calendar days from the day after you sign up for a membership to cancel the service
- if you notify us after 14 calendar days of signing up, we have the right to retain all of the annual fee as a contribution towards any losses or costs that incurred as a result of your cancellation
- full details of the terms and conditions for the scheme can be found in the following document, Garden waste terms and conditions - houses (PDF, 155KB).
If you do not wish to sign up to the garden waste scheme, composting is a great way of turning old fruit, vegetables and garden waste into free compost for your garden.