Reuse and recycling centres
Bexley operates two reuse and recycling centres which can be used by residents free of charge:
Foots Cray reuse and recycling centre
- Maidstone Road, Foots Cray, DA14 5HS
- (license numbers: P/15/02 & EAWML19564)
- open every day except Wednesday 7.30am to 4pm
Thames Road reuse and recycling centre
- Thames Road, Crayford, DA1 5QJ
- (license numbers: P/15/01 & EAWML19563)
- open every day 7.30am to 4pm
Both sites are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
- separate your waste prior to travelling so that as much as possible can be reused and recycled
- if you have items in good condition speak to a member of staff who will direct you to the reuse area
- bric-a-brac (reuse first)
- car batteries
- cooking oil
- fire extinguishers (seek assistance)
- fluorescent tubes
- food and drink cans
- fridges and freezers
- furniture (reuse first)
- garden furniture and tools (reuse first)
- garden waste
- gas canisters (seek assistance)
- hardcore and rubble
- hard plastics (reuse first)
- household batteries
- household waste
- large appliances
- lawn mowers
- MDF, chipboard and plywood
- mirrors (reuse first)
- mixed paper and card
- mobile phones
- pictures (reuse first)
- printer cartridges
- small appliances
- sofas (reuse first)
- tools (reuse first)
- TVs and monitors
- used engine oil
- wood and timber
You will need to show proof of your address, but please keep your car windows closed while it is checked.
Recycling centre permits are no longer being distributed.
No out of Borough residents will be allowed in.
All cars need to have seats and windows in the back otherwise you may be turned away.
To control the number of vehicles accessing the sites at any one time, a traffic control system will operate based on odd and even number plates. This is necessary to help control visitor numbers and help avoid lengthy delays and excessive queuing.
Number plates ending with odd numbers (last number is one, three, five, seven or nine) will be allowed on odd dates, while number plates ending with even numbers (last number is zero, two, four, six or eight) – will be allowed on even dates.
|Date||Vehicle number plates|
|Wednesday 1 July||Odd|
|Thursday 2 July||Even|
|Friday 3 July||Odd|
|Saturday 4 July||Even|
|Sunday 5 July||Odd|
|Monday 6 July||Even|
|Tuesday 7 July||Odd|
|Wednesday 8 July||Even|
|Thursday 9 July||Odd|
|Friday 10 July||Even|
|Saturday 11 July||Odd|
|Sunday 12 July||Even|
|Monday 13 July||Odd|
|Tuesday 14 July||Even|
|Wednesday 15 July||Odd|
|Thursday 16 July||Even|
|Friday 17 July||Odd|
|Saturday 18 July||Even|
|Sunday 19 July||Odd|
The following will apply for an initial trial period at both centres:
- to maintain social distancing and to enable quick progress around the site, the number of cars on the site at one time will be limited
- only one person will be allowed outside the vehicle unless a large item is being unloaded
- staff will not be able to help you lift items
- please be patient. You may have to queue before you are allowed entry. Please remember that there are limited parking spaces at the sites
- on your return from the site, please remember not to touch your face and to wash your hands for 20 seconds
- all vans and other commercial vehicles, whether they are domestic or commercially owned, are not admitted to Foots Cray reuse and recycling centre without exception
- all vans must use the Thames Road reuse and recycling centre where they will be required to weigh on the weighbridge and tip in the transfer station. Bexley residents are entitled to deposit up to half a tonne of domestic waste a year free of charge
- permits are not valid for residents in vans using Thames Road
- In order to restrict commercial waste being deposited as household waste residents wishing to dispose of waste in vans will need to show both proofs of identity and proof of address
- proof of identity should be photographic ID in the form of a photo driving licence or passport
- proof of address should be a council tax or utility bill in the same name as the photo ID
- a current photo driving licence can be used as both proof of identity and proof of address
- persons failing to provide the above will be charged or refused entry
- the transfer station is a hard hat and high visibility vest area, please bring your own as limited stock is available for purchase
- Council vehicles will be given priority access during opening times
Trailers and pick up trucks
No trailers at Thames Road.
Pickup trucks (crew cab only) are accepted at Thames Road and Foots Cray.
These vehicles are monitored and may be subject to further checks. This is to ensure commercial waste is not being brought into the site unofficially.
ANPR cameras operate at both sites to ensure visitors are not bringing commercial waste into the sites unofficially
Where can I dispose of my Asbestos?
Asbestos can be brought to either of the reuse and recycling centres but ensure it is safely contained either by double bagging or securely wrapping it using heavy duty polythene.
- we accept all cement bonded asbestos (sheets, pipes and tiles)
- ask a member of staff for assistance on arrival at the centre
- Asbestos should be double bagged or wrapped in a minimum of 500 gauge plastic or securely wrapping it in heavy duty polythene min 1000gauge (e.g. damp proof membrane). Wrapped asbestos to be securely taped closed.
- if asbestos does not fit in the container it will not be accepted. You will be given an advice note with other disposal options
- tyres are accepted for environmental disposal
- disposal of tyres is strictly limited to five tyres per visit and a maximum of two visits per vehicle per year
- to find out the weight of your vehicle and the contents there are public weighbridges at both centres
- the cost of using these facilities is £11* per vehicle
*Current charges valid until March 2021.