Children with special educational needs and disabilities

The majority of children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities will make progress and have their needs met within a mainstream educational setting with a level of support known as SEN support. Such children and young people have their needs without additional support provided through an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan.  

If a child/young person is not making progress, even with SEN support provided by their educational setting, a request can be made for an education, health and care needs assessment to be carried out.

Requesting an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment

A request for an EHC Needs Assessment for a child or young person aged 0 to 25 years with special educational needs and/or disabilities can be made by:

  • the child/young person’s parent/carer
  • a young person aged 16 to 25 years
  • a person acting on behalf of a school or post 16 institution
  • children and young people under 19 in youth custodial establishments have the right to request assessment for an EHC Plan

The (SEND) Statutory Assessment Service is responsible for coordinating EHC Needs Assessments. If, following an EHC Needs Assessment, it is agreed that a child/young person’s needs should be met through an EHC plan the SEND statutory assessment service will work with families and professionals to develop an EHC plan that reflects:

  • the child/young person’s needs
  • the support that the child/young person requires
  • the outcomes that the child/young person is working towards

In addition to coordinating EHC Needs Assessments the role of the SEND Statutory Assessment Service also includes:

  • drafting and agreeing Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans
  • maintaining and reviewing (EHC) plans and statements of Special Educational Need (SEN)
  • converting statements of SEN to (EHC) Plans through Transfer Reviews (Sept 2014 to April 2018)

Where can I find out more information?

If you would like more information about SEN support, requesting and EHC Needs Assessment or EHC plans please visit Bexley Local Offer.

The Bexley Local Offer is a website providing information about education, health and care services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities aged 0 to 25.