Education Welfare Service (EWS) and Child Licensing
The role of the Education Welfare Service (EWS) team:
- to support children, families and schools with school attendance issues
- implement statutory requirements including those for children in entertainment and child employment
Most schools in Bexley have an Education Welfare Officer from the service attached to them, though some schools and academies use an alternative provider to support them with attendance.
Links with other services
EWOs work closely with professionals such as:
- members of the Early Intervention Team
- social care
- the SEN department
- staff working on education inclusion
Referral to the EWS
EWOs visit schools regularly to help monitor children’s attendance. Schools are able to refer children when attendance is a concern, and if the referral is accepted the EWO will contact the parents to discuss further.
If there are queries regarding school attendance or the Education Welfare Service, please email email@example.com.
Please refer to the following attachments:-
- Apply online for Child employment work permit
- Hours children can work (PDF, 23KB)
- Prohibited employment of children (PDF, 12KB)
A guide to legislation about employing children can be found on GOV.UK Child employment.
Any queries regarding Performance Licences should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those requiring a Chaperone application pack to be sent out should email email@example.com giving their name and address.
General enquiries relating to school attendance can be obtained from Department for Education and National Network for Children in Employment and Entertainment.