Many schools in Bexley have nursery classes, and children can start when they are three or four years old, in the year before they are due to start Reception. In September 2020 Children born between 1 September 2016 and 31 August 2017 will start nursery classes.
The application period is now closed:
- if you have not applied, please contact the School Admissions Team for details of how to submit a late application
- Offers will be made on 18 May 2020
- if you applied online you will be notified of the outcome by email during the evening of 18 May, if you completed a paper application form, a letter will be posted to you on 18 May, by first class mail
Nursery classes 2019 to 2020
If your child was born between 1 September 2015 and 31 August 2016, there may be places available now in nursery classes. Contact the School Admissions team for more details.
If you have not applied for a Reception place for September 2020, the closing date was 15 January 2020. If you have missed this deadline, please contact the School Admissions team for details of how to submit a late application.
- many nursery classes now offer a total of 15 hours each week
- most still provide sessions in either mornings or afternoons but some offer different patterns of attendance
- more detail is provided in the following document Admission to nursery classes in Bexley schools (PDF, 2MB)
Although there has been widespread media coverage regarding the extended free childcare entitlement for working parents of 3 – 4 year olds, not all nurseries will be offering this and not all families are entitled to claim it, therefore the London Borough of Bexley’s standard nursery offer remains 15 hours per week, with some schools offering additional hours as a top up for those eligible.
Nursery classes are very popular and it may not be possible to offer places to all children who apply. Information is available from Bexley's Family Information Service (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding other nursery classes, day nurseries and playgroups run by voluntary and private organisations and childminders.
Attendance at a school nursery class does not give priority for admission to the Reception class at the same school when your child reaches school age. If your child is not offered a place in a nursery class, it will not affect your application for a Reception place for September 2021.